Document 6.3: A Walk In The... Cemetery?
With tragic foreshadowing, your boss seems to have been reading up on the deceased inhabitants of Mt. Auburn Cemetery. He seems to have been excited about those graves that have some sort of connection to MIT. Perhaps you should head over there and check it out. It looks like he didn't want to go off tramping through the paths, as everything listed seems to be on one of the paved (and plowed, if necessary) roads.
He has some practical notes that may be of use: make sure you get to the cemetery before 3:00 pm at the latest -- 2:00 pm would be better -- as the gates close at dusk and it gets even colder. Make sure you dress warmly. The 71, 72, and 73 buses all go from Harvard Square to the Cemetery. All of this keeps the logistics from being too much of a headache.
- Walk through the gate and immediately take the rightmost path. You will pass an intersection: just continue straight through it. When you come to a fork, you want to keep the Library on your left.
- At the next intersection, keep going straight. You'll know you've made the correct choice, as there's a Building on your left.
- Stay left--there's yet another Building on your right.
- And it's followed by another, different, Library, a bit further on.
- On your right is a former president, and now Dining Room. This one may be covered by snow, but it was too good to pass up. Don't worry if you can't find it.
- Stay straight: there's something you would find useful in the libraries on your left.
- Lots of interesting things around here: like the Memorial on your right.
- And a Way on your right--look carefully, it's pretty far back. Stay to the left.
- The path curves round; there's a House on your right as you come to large intersection.
- Stay to the right; you'll pass a Games on your left after a few hundred feet.
- You'll know you're heading the correct way when you see a Square on your left after about the same distance again; take the left after that.
- Another Memorial on your left!
- At the next intersection, you can go left or right. Look carefully, find an Athletic Center, and go that way. It's just possible it could be covered in snow.
- But you'll pass a House on your left, so you know you made the right choice.
- A Field shows up on your left after about three hundred and fifty feet; keep following the road straight.
- You've done the right thing when there's yet another Memorial -- but it's on the side of a gravestone that belongs in the Muddy Charles.
- A bit further along there are two stones that should be significant, but aren't: one's eighteen inches on your left, and the next is nearly a Court.
- At the next intersection, find a School of Management in the middle of someone: keep that on your right. It's no more than fifty feet from the intersection, but this one might take you a while to find due to the options avaliable.
- On your right is a Hall--a Hall you'd find in one of the places you've previously found, but be careful: it's tricky, this one. Take a left just past it.
- Now we're doing well! There's part of 21L on the left here.
- And a Center is here.
- Further on, a Laboratory, too.
- Take note of the name across the road from the Laboratory. Yes, that's the one. Take the next right and follow the road. When you hit the end of this bit of road, take a left.
- Nearly there. Keep going along: this road's a bit quiet for our purposes. About five hundred feet further along is yet another Building on your left: take the second right.
- On your right, you'll pass another, different, Hall.
- And then, also on your right, another Street, with at least one dorm on it.
- You'll pass a dorm in the middle, on your right. Funky.
- Stay right, and stop when you see the name you noticed opposite that Laboratory. Your answer is the first letter of the inscription above the name, just the letter itself. The word it's part of is the top line on the stone.
Now go and get something warm to drink. (That's not a clue, it's just good advice.)
Back to the index