Solution to Cafe Five
Back to Puzzle
by Nathan Pinsker, Josh Alman
In this puzzle, you just follow the instructions and answer the questions. The questions themselves range from very easy ("What is 3 + 4?") to complex logic puzzles.
With 25 minutes remaining, a special event occurs — L. Rafael Reif approaches the cafe for some lunch! Reif's puzzle is a huge double logic puzzle, requires two comps to dismiss, and has a 21-minute time limit.
Puzzles are bucketed into four difficulty levels: "easy", "medium", "hard", and "boss", and puzzles within each level are treated identically. Customers come in at a rate dependent on the amount of time left on the clock. This rate is gently accelerated as teams got closer to winning.
Once the clock runs out, you gets a token which can be used to get the answer to any one Cafe Five puzzle in the Infinite Corridor. You'll have to play again to get more tokens!
- If you're overwhelmed with puzzles, pull a team member or two in to help.
- Decide whether or not to comp a puzzle as early as possible, so you don't waste time on it.
- For Wheel-of-Fortunes: Use OneLook! It can often give you a great set of candidate answers which is quick to scan through.
- For logic puzzles: Use a solver! All the logic puzzles are "standard" enough that there are solvers online to handle them. Here's a good one.
- For trivia & crossword clues: Make copious use of Google! It can often immediately tell you the answer to these.
Here is a link to download the individual puzzles and their answers.