As you wait in line for the water slides you overhear four young kids playing an activity that brings back old childhood memories.
Abby: We all know the game but the rules are obviously a bit different. I’ll begin by making my move first. 5 points for me!
Ben: Well I just jumped way out in front. It must be because of the new kicks I’m wearing.
Chloe: My move is pretty great if I don’t say so myself but not as good as yours, Ben.
Dave: I am so going to be a famous celebrity after this move. Just not point-wise.
Abby: Ugh! I feel like I could just maul you Ben.
Ben: I would say let’s take this outside but that would be totally contrary to the move I am making.
Chloe: With my move my score only grows.
Dave: Hopefully my move can turn the table on the scores.
Abby: Making my move. I suggest we get a notary in order to authorize the results.
Ben: Abby, I hear you. Maybe we should team up? You’d make a good partner.
Chloe: At best, I am now tied for the lead!
Dave: OMG. I am really disheartened right now.
Abby: Well this game is getting a bit topsy-turvy for me. I can’t tell heads from tails anymore.
Ben: I agree. I’m heading back to where I came from—and yet somehow still go up in points. Nice!
Chloe: Well I’m moving to a higher level—and the lead!
Dave: I’m so far behind everyone. Maybe I should just temporarily stop?
Abby: My last move was the perfect prelude to this one as I am now 28 points above Ben, 14 above Chloe and 68 above Dave.
Ben: My move quality clearly has taken a skid. I don’t seem to be moving anywhere.
Chloe: I think I might just sit down after this move.
Dave: My move feels pretty useless too.
Abby: I feel pretty rejected about this move as I am clearly no longer in the lead. In fact I am now only beating Dave. Ugh!
Ben: Well I winnowed my choices for this move but still did not move very far.
Chloe: I guess it’s time for me to go into beast mode.
Dave: I feel like this whole game was arranged ahead of time.
Abby: Ok. Time to take a step back and start anew.
Ben: Sorry I quarreled with you earlier, Abby.
Chloe: Weird. It all feels like we are in a different time period to me.
Dave: Not to me. I think I am going to quit based on this last move.
Abby: The final result of all of this is that I am back in the lead. Haha!
Ben: But… I appear to be heading in your direction.
Chloe: With one tiny stride I just pulled ahead of everyone!
Dave: Well, I clearly made a mistake. I’m out (sits down).
Abby: I really like the word “really.”
Ben: This finish is going to be bigger than some of the biggest championships!
Chloe: I really like the word “like.”
Abby: It looks like my last move will be my undoing. I was so close!
Ben: I finished! I win!
To get down they followed these steps…
Abby moved up 1
Ben moved down 3
Chloe moved down 8
Dave moved up 3 and right 2
Then Abby moved down 1 and right 3
Lastly, Ben moved down 5 and right 3
What should they do next?
- Part of speech (6)
- First name of female attorney in a popular 1990’s TV Show (4)
- Dilapidated; shabby (4,2)
- Pessimistic; gloomy (8)
- Movie with the Hitler meme (8)
- A decline in the economy (8)
- Finish (3)
- Miscalculate (3)
- Resistance according to the Borg (6)
- What an investor wants (5)
- In a perfect world… (7)
- Where Intel was in the 90’s (6)
- South American pack animals (6)
- Reduced the number of choices (8,4)
- Arrange ahead (6)
- Zero out (5)
- Bring back an athlete for another stint (6)
- Propelled a boat by means of oars (5)
- Arrange, as a blind date (3,2)
- Nixed (4,4)
- John Hancock was the first of these for the Declaration of Independence (6)
- Couch potato's spot (4)
- Sol, for example (4)
- Begin (5)
- Very good or pleasant; excellent (5)
- Tom Brady has been MVP in 4 of these (5,5)
- The People's Shoe of Italy (7)
- Something you might do to disbelief (7)
- Abe’s boy (3)
- Japanese era (6)
- In the direction of (6)
- Flip an object over or put it on its side (5)
- The final result/outcome (6)
- A possible new state of the object if you do the clue two above this (6,4)
- Toward a higher place, point, or level (6)
- A 180 degree change in direction (5)
- Part of speech (4)