The Holy Cup of the Raven-God
by Benjamin L de Bivort
The Balloon Seller, in the guise of Odin (cluing Norse poetry, as if it wasn't obvious), presents you with a poem of six "stanzas."
Each stanza contains a long sentence/clause that is awkwardly constructed. E.g., lots of x of y of z. After each such sentence is 2–5 lines structured as a relation, by a phrase.
The long sentence is a nested/iterated kenning, a Norse compound noun riddle. The component kennings are all from the real canon. Solving each to the word it clues makes a new kenning. Solving the whole set points to a historical viking. Getting the names of the relations to that person, and indexing in by the number clued by the phrase associated with each relation, gives the following letters: THE DOG STAR IS LOKIS BLANK. This is a clue for TORCH.
- His mother’s mother, by Odin’s eyes.
- Thorgerd, 1 = T
- His true love, by Tyr’s hands.
- Helga, 1 = H
- His brother, by those who survive in Hoard-Mimir’s holt.
- Hermund, 2 = E
- Herself, by the brothers who killed Ymir.
- Aud(r), 3 = D
- Her husband, by the world trees.
- Olaf, 1 = O
- Her father’s father’s father, by the days it took Vali to grow up.
- Grim, 1 = G
- His mother, by Odin’s wolves.
- Aslaug, 2 = S
- His father-in-law’s successor, by Sleipnir’s legs.
- Ecgbehrt, 8 = T
- His wife, by the days of licking that freed Buri.
- Blaeja, 3 = A
- His great-grandson, hued skerry of words, by the winters of Fimbulwinter.
- Harald (Bluetooth), 3 = R
- His father’s mother, by the heads of the being begat by Ymir’s legs.
- Ragnhild, 6 = I
- His youngest son, by pieces of whetstone lodged in Thor’s head.
- Sigurd, 1 = S
- His mother, by the norns who live at the Well of Fate.
- Hallbera, 3 = L
- His uncle, half-swallower of the wheel of the sky, by the swords juggled by the man in a door of Valhalla.
- Hallbjorn (Halftroll), 7 = O
- His cousin, the salmon, by the sons of the nine sisters.
- Ketil (Haeng/trout/salmon), 1 = K
- His son, bane of the forest of the farmstead of the brain, by the roosters who herald Ragnarok.
- Grim (bane of hair; bald; Skallagrim), 3 = I
- His wife, by Mimir’s heads before the war with the Vanir.
- Salbjorg, 1 = S
- His mother’s father, by the dwarves who hold up the skull of Ymir.
- Gudbrand, 4 = B
- His son and successor’s successor, by the humans created from trees.
- Olaf, 2 = L
- Himself, by the drips of Draupnir every ninth night.
- Harald Hardrada, 8 = A
- His daughter, peace-bringer among nations, by Odin’s ravens.
- Ingegerd (queen), 2 = N
- His successor’s successor’s successor’s consort’s father’s father, by kings who accompanied Eric Bloodaxe into Valhalla.
- His successor: Magnus II
- His successor’s successor: Olaf III
- His successor’s successor’s successor: Magnus III
- His successor’s successor’s successor’s consort: Margaret of Sweden
- Stenkil, 5 = K