Among the physical puzzles in the treasure chest, the solvers will find a bag containing 7 dice and 6
playing cards. The cards are shown here:
There are also seven dice in the bag. Each of the dice has a color theme based on the two colors that appear on them. This color theme
matches with the color theme presented on a card, mapping the dice
to the cards.
Left to right: Laughing Man, Iron Man, Aquaman, Zaphod Beeblebrox,
Doduo (2 dice), Batman.
Each of the dice is rigged in one fashion or another. The seven
dice are rigged as follows:
- Aquaman – He has a rigged die when he plays underwater: when you drop the die in a cup of
water, the facade of wet-erase marker that masks it as a regular die comes off, revealing that each
face has 4 pips on them, drawn in with permanent marker.
- Batman – He, the Dark Knight, has a rigged die when
he plays in the dark. Let it soak in light
(or charge the pips using the UV flashlight provided in the chest)
and enter the dark to find that only the "1" pip remains visible.
- Doduo – She has two heads and so she gets two dice. With two dice, you are most likely to roll
a 7, so she comes naturally rigged.
- Iron Man – His die has a magnet embedded in it. Using a piece of iron (or other ferrous magnetic) surface will reveal an affinity towards the "3" side.
- Laughing Man – This hacker is good at breaking into things and works best in a computer: Open
the die and you'll find a tiny USB drive. Stick the drive in your computer to find a "random
number generator" that always returns 1.
- Zaphod Beeblebrox – With his infinite improbability drive, anything can happen, even rolling
a 6 many, many times in a row. This die is just weighted in the standard way; nearly every time
you roll it, a 6 will come up.
After extracting the relevant number from each die and pairing the dice with the the cards, you'll
find that each card has 6 bold words (with the exception of Doduo, who has 12). For each die (or dice) favoring
i, take the ith bold word and sort alphabetically by character name to get the phrase CALL IN CON
SOLE LAY SHUN. If you say that out loud, you get the answer, CONSOLATION.