Running in Circles

by Nathan Fung


Each day's log consists of two pictures that have each been taken from a bridge in Boston. Each pair of bridges defines a running loop, the distance (in miles) of which are available online ([1], [2]) and replicated below:

The supplementary information from 1710 reveals that in the alternate history, the Charles River was diverted and the running loops distances were altered.

Running loop (From)Running loop (To)Distance (Original)Distance (Alternate)
North Beacon St BridgeLongfellow Bridge13.2113.0401
Arsenal BridgeJohn W Weeks Footbridge4.764.2506
Harvard BridgeLongfellow Bridge2.822.1521
JFK Blvd / Anderson Memorial BridgeLongfellow Bridge7.787.1820
John W Weeks FootbridgeRiver St Bridge1.181.0505
North Beacon St BridgeScience Museum / Craigie Bridge14.1614.1416
Eliot BridgeLongfellow Bridge9.239.1201
John W Weeks FootbridgeBU / Cottage Farm Bridge3.353.1721
JFK Blvd / Anderson Memorial BridgeWestern Ave Bridge1.31.0523
Mt. Auburn / Watertown BridgeBU / Cottage Farm Bridge12.3212.0912
Mt. Auburn / Watertown BridgeJohn W Weeks Footbridge9.189.1209
Arsenal BridgeScience Museum / Craigie Bridge12.6612.0113
Mt. Auburn / Watertown BridgeLongfellow Bridge16.1316.0102
John W Weeks FootbridgeHarvard Bridge5.115.0912
Harvard BridgeScience Museum / Craigie Bridge3.773.1209
Western Ave BridgeRiver St Bridge0.530.1407
Mt. Auburn / Watertown BridgeHarvard Bridge14.0714.1920
Eliot BridgeRiver St Bridge3.243.0920
BU / Cottage Farm BridgeLongfellow Bridge4.784.1205

Rounding the distances of the loops in the original history to the nearest mile and reading alphanumerically gives the answer MECHANICAL IMPEDANCE.

In the alterniate history, reading the decimal parts of the distance of each loop (the part that would be rounded off when rounding to the nearest mile) alphanumerically in pairs spells DAY FOURTEEN PLAQUE WILLIAM A BILLINGS TITLE. Going to the plaque on the south end of the Harvard Bridge reveals that William A. Billings was the DEPUTY CHIEF ENGINEER.